Traveling with airlines is becoming an ever costlier business and if you travel frequently you will naturally be looking for ways to cut any extra costs or fees wherever you can. One of the costs you may be able to avoid is the cost of bringing your carry on baggage and personal items onto the plane.
Each airline will have its own different policies when it comes to the size of your carry on, what constitutes baggage, and personal items. Some will charge you bag fees to bring items onto the plane with you and some will offer free carry on baggage. Below we have listed Free Carry on Airlines which may help you to save money on your overall travel costs and which items will only allow you to bring a personal item for free rather than a carry on bag.
Making sure that you are aware of the policies and weight limits for carry on items will help you to avoid unexpected extra charges when you arrive at the airport and allow you to plan out your travel budget more accurately.
So take a look at our breakdown of the airlines with free carry on and make sure to factor in the savings when booking your next flight!
Chase Sapphire Reserve
Best for Experienced Users
Airlines With Free Carry On
Southwest Airlines Free Carry On
Southwest Airlines is a great airline to pick if you want to avoid checked bag fees - you can bring your personal item, a carry on bag, and check in two bags under 50 pounds for free!
- Your carry on bags should not exceed 24 inches x 16 inches x 10 inches and should fit in your overhead compartment.
- Your personal item should be 16.23 inches x 13.5 inches x 8 inches, or below and should fit underneath the seat in front of you.
- Your checked bags can include golf bags, skis, sports equipment, and other items as long as they don't exceed the weight limit and measure more than 62 inches in combined length, height, and width.
American Airlines Free Carry On
Your American Airlines flight will not include any extra charges for your personal item or your carry on bag as long as they meet the measurements specified by the carrier.
- Customers flying basic economy can bring on one carry on and one personal item with American Airlines Free Carry On policies.
- Your carry on bag should not be larger than 22 inches x 14 inches x 9 inches and will need to fit in the airport sizer when you check your bags.
- Musical instruments are considered carry on items as long as they can fit in the overhead compartment or beneath the seat in front of you.
- Your personal item (such as a purse or handbag) should be able to fit under the seat in front of you. (No larger than 18 inches x 14 inches x 8 inches.)
- You should note that diaper bags, strollers, milk coolers, and mobility or medical devices will not qualify as personal items under American Airlines Free Carry On rules.
Delta Free Carry On
Delta is another one of the major Airlines with Free Carry on policies and will allow passengers to bring one carry on bag and one personal item onto the plane with no extra fees.
- Your Carry On Item can be a purse, handbag, or laptop bag which will fit under the seat in front of you.
- If you are carrying an item that needs ot be stored in your overhead locker, it should not exceed 22 inches x 14 inches x 9 inches
- There are no maximum weight restrictions unless you are traveling to Singapore, Beijing, or Shanghai.
- Small Musical Instruments count as your personal item as long as they are small enough to fit in the overhead or under seat space.
Hawaiian Airlines with Free Carry On
You'll also be able to benefit from free carry on when traveling with Hawaiin Airlines although the size and weight requirements are a bit more restrictive when compared with some of the other airlines.
- Your carry on item needs ot fit in the overhead compartment, should not weigh more than 25 pounds and measure more than 9 inches (L) x 14 inches (W) x 22 inches(H)
- Personal items such as a small handbag, briefcase, or laptop bag can be taken on board as long as they fit underneath the seat in front of you and
- Musical instruments can be taken on the plane as carry on as long as they fit in the overhead compartment.
- There are no size limitations when it comes to assistive devices for those with restricted mobilities as long as they can be safely stored on the carry on storage part of the plane.
Some Airlines Will Only Allow You To Bring Free Personal Items on the Flight
In contrast to the Free Carry On Airlines above, the carriers below will only allow you to bring one personal item on the flight with you.
When you buy an economy ticket with United Airlines you will be able to bring a personal item which must not exceed 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches.
Your personal item on your JetBlue Airlines flight should not be larger than 17 inches (L) x 13 inches (W) x 8 inches (H).
Your free personal item on your Spirit Airlines flight, should not measure more than 18 inches x 14 inches x 8 inches.
Summary: Airlines With Free Carry On
Booking your flights with an airline with free carry on will help you to keep your overall travel costs down and if you are traveling for a short period may help you to avoid checked bag fees altogether!
Make sure that you research Free Carry on Airlines and all extra baggage fees when booking your flight to ensure that your overall costs are as affordable as possible when your travel. Get started by checking the airlines with free carry on that we have detailed above and discover how you can save money on baggage fees with all your future flights.
Ten Essential Carry on-Bag Items
As exciting as the build-up to a holiday can be, it does come with the stressfulness of bag packing. To ensure this doesn't happen, below is a list of the ten most essential items you should bring in your carry-on luggage.