American Express Gold Card is an excellent card for earning rewards on travel and dining purchases. If you're searching for more benefits, such as access to airport lounges and hotel upgrades, the American Express Platinum Card is ideal. So, which card should you get?
American Express Gold
If you're shopping for a high-quality American Express card with lots of perks and advantages, you might be wondering which American Express Platinum card or the American Express Gold card is best for you. Both cards have excellent features, but which is the superior alternative?
Let's have a look at some of the significant distinctions between the American Express Platinum card and Gold cards to help you decide.
The two cards have vastly different annual fees, with the American Express Platinum card being $695 and the American Express Gold card's fee sitting at a more reasonable $250.
The rewards program is also significantly different between the two cards. With the American Express Platinum card, you earn 5x points on airfare and hotel stays booked through Amex. The American Express Gold card only offers 3x points on those same purchases.
The following are some of the key advantages of the American Express Gold card:
- 4x Membership Rewards Points at restaurants (take out and delivery)
- 4x Membership Rewards Points at U.S. supermarkets (Up to $25,000 per calendar year.)
- $120 Uber Cash ($10 per month, totaling up to $120 per calendar year.)
- $120 Dining Credit ($10 Per month in statement credits when you use your AMEX Gold Card at select restaurants.
Finally, keep in mind the sign-up bonus. The American Express Platinum card currently gives you 100,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $6,000 in the first three months, whereas the American Express Gold card provides 60,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $4,000 in the first three months.
American Express® Gold Card
Best for Travel
American Express Platinum
The American Express Platinum Card is one of the most popular travel rewards credit cards on the market due to the many travel benefits and premium travel perks. It has a lot of features that make it an excellent choice for frequent travelers. The following are some of the key advantages of the card:
- No foreign transaction fees
- 5x Membership Rewards Points for flights booked with AMEX Travel Portal (Capped at $500,000 in purchases per calendar year)
- 5x Membership Rewards Points for hotels Booked with AMEX Travel Portal
- Earn 100k in Membership Rewards Points after spending $6000 in the first 6 months of card membership
- Priority Pass Select - Grants card holder access to hundreds of lounges
- Purchase protection - Card benefits that covers stolen or damaged items on eligible purchases via AMEX Assurance Company
- $200 in Uber cash ($15 every month + $20 bonus in December)
- $200 airline fee credit
- Access to over 1,000 airport lounges worldwide
- Complimentary Hilton Honors Gold status
- Complimentary Mariott Bonvoy Status
- American Express Concierge Service
- $200 in Prepaid Hotel Credits (Must book through Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts or The Hotel Collection)
- Centurion Lounge Access
If you frequently travel, the American Express Platinum card could be a good fit for you. It gives a slew of useful perks that may help you save money while making the most of your trip.
Which Card is Better for You?
If you're trying to decide between American Express Platinum card and American Express Gold card, it's important to consider what each card offers and which one would be a better fit for your spending habits.
American Express Platinum card is a great option for travelers who will take advantage of the card's many perks, such as access to airport lounges and hotel upgrades. American Express Gold card is ideal for those who want to earn rewards on everyday purchases, such as dining and groceries.
American Express Gold card also has a lower annual fee than American Express Platinum card, making it a more budget-friendly choice. No matter which American Express card you choose, you'll be getting a quality product with plenty of features and benefits. American Express is one of the leading issuers of credit cards in the United States, so you can't go wrong with either option.
American Express Gold Card is an excellent card for earning rewards on travel and dining purchases. If you're searching for more benefits, such as access to airport lounges and hotel upgrades, the American Express Platinum Card is ideal. So, which American Express card should you get?
American Express Travel Partners
American Express arguably offers its users one of the most varied lists of credit card transfer partners available.