With competition for customers at an all-time high for credit card companies, card providers are offering all kinds of valuable benefits to entice you to use their credit card products. if you travel a lot by air and Uber - then the Uber Amex Credit partnership might be the right fit for you.
The Uber Credit Amex platinum scheme will allow you to spend up to $200 in Uber credits for each year you hold the card. This is split into credits of $15 per month with an extra $20 in December. You can use these credits to pay for your US Uber rides or the Uber Eats food delivery service.
Premium cards such as American Express Platinum provide more value than ever when it comes to covering annual fee costs and accessing perks, rewards, and credits that make owning these cards worthwhile.
Below we will look in detail at the American Express Platinum card and whether the perks offered such as Monthly Uber credit makes it a valuable card for travelers to apply for. We will also address how to get the best value out of the card to make sure that you are getting the maximum benefit from card ownership.
American Express® Platinum Card
Best for Experienced Users
Amex Platinum Card Rewards and Benefits
First, let's take a look at the Platinum Card from American Express. This premium card comes with an annual fee of $695, but are the travel perks, rewards, and credits enough to cover that cost for you? For example, if you regularly use Uber and will make use of that extra $200 credit, then that cost is immediately cut down to $495 right away!
(An important point to note is that we are looking at the value of an Amex Platinum card with the presumption that you will pay your monthly credit bills on time each month. If you have to pay extra late fees or interest, then this may begin to outweigh the perks and rewards associated with the card.)
Platinum Card from American Express Perks and Rewards
- 80,000 reward points after your spend $6,000 within the first six months of becoming a card member.
- $200 Uber statement credits (split into $15 each month and an extra $20 in December.)
- 5x Amex reward points when you use the card to book flights directly with air carriers or using American Express Travel. (Up to a value of $500,000 each year.)
- 5x reward points when you book hotels with American Express Travel.
- 1x points on all other purchases made using the card.
How much are Amex Platinum Reward Points Worth?
The value of American Express rewards points can vary according to how you want to redeem them. But according to NerdWallet, the average value of a reward point is 1 cent when booking through the Amex Travel portal and 2 cents when booking with an Amex partner.
So, if you expect to spend $6,000 within the first six months of using the card, you can add a value of approx. $800 in reward points. More than covering the annual cost of the card. (If you will also be using the $200 Amex Uber credit, the perk value on the card should make it more than worthwhile!)
How to Use Your Amex Platinum Uber Credit?
If you are going to access Uber Credit Amex Platinum monthly top-ups, you need to be aware that this isn't going to be automatically added to your account. Instead, you need to add your Amex Platinum as your payment card on Uber to start receiving your credit each month.
If you want to use the credit for Uber Eats you will need to link your Platinum Card to your Uber Cash balance and use this as your preferred payment method when booking a delivery.
You will know when you have successfully linked your card for monthly uber credit when Uber begins sending you a confirmation email. This will be received on the first of the month with the title "American Express® reward — your $15 in Uber Cash is here."
What Do You Need to Know About the Amex Uber Credit Scheme?
To make sure that you fully understand the Uber Credit Amex Platinum scheme, here are some other factors to take into account.
- You can also use your Amex Uber points to upgrade to Uber VIP, which will connect you to top-rated drivers and higher-quality cars in select cities throughout the US.
- If your $15 monthly Uber Amex credit doesn't cover the costs of your Uber ride, the remaining cost will be charged to your Amex Platinum card.
- Your Amex Platinum Uber Credit will only be applied when using US Uber services.
- To access Uber Credits from Amex Platinum, you need to arrange payment to Uber directly from the card (and not through third-party options such as PayPal, Apple Pay, or other payment apps.)
- Your credit will only be applied to the first Uber account you link to your Platinum cars, even if you have multiple Uber accounts in your name.
Do Uber Credits on Amex Platinum Roll Over to Next Month?
Unfortunately, you cannot use the Amex Uber credit scheme to build up points for a longer trip. In the case of these monthly credits, you need to use them within the month, or else they will become void.
Can You Use Your Amex Platinum Uber Credit for Uber Eats?
If you don't use Uber all that much, you will still be able to use your Amex Uber credit toward your monthly takeout bills! If you regularly use Amex for food deliveries, then an additional $15 a month to help cover Uber Eats charges can also be a valuable perk to consider when weighing up the value of the card.
Is The Amex Platinum Card a Valuable Premium Card for Your Lifestyle?
We've already seen how making use of the introductory offer (worth approx. $800) and the $200 Amex Uber credit can make the $695 annual fee worth it. But here are some other ways you can use your Platinum card to add value and save money on your travel.
- Up to $189 towards CLEAR membership each year.
- $155 Walmart+ statement credits (applied monthly at a rate of $12.95.)
- $200 credits each year for prepaid hotel stays which are booked through Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts.
- Up to $300 credit for Equinox Gym membership annually.
- $300 credit towards buying a SoulCycle at-home bike using your Platinum card.
- Monthly digital credit of up to $20 per month (totaling $240 a year.)
Takeaway - Maximize Your Rides with Amex Uber Credit
The Uber Credit Amex Platinum Scheme could be a valuable practical benefit for you if you regularly use the service. Offering a saving of $200 each year on Uber Rides and Uber Eats, goes a substantial way to justifying the expenditure on the annual fee.
And when combined with the other valuable perks and benefits which may apply to your lifestyle, Uber Amex credit may be the reward that makes the platinum card the most valuable premium card for you and your lifestyle.
Benefits of Amex Platinum
The benefits of Amex Platinum cards are already known as being some of the best around, with access to discounts and offers some of the most prestigious brands around.