If you need to arrange for your child to safely fly across the country, you will naturally want to make sure that the process is as safe as possible. You will need to know the rules for minors flying alone and the exact procedures. Doing your research well ahead of time will help you to make the best choice about the best flights for minors flying alone in the US and ensure the experience is as smooth as possible.
Below we will take a look at the process of minors flying alone on United Airlines flights so you can decide whether this is the best option when you want to book a flight for minors flying alone.
You'll find everything you need to know about the fees and booking process for minors flying alone on United Airlines flights, along with the air carrier's rules for minors flying alone.
Citi Premier Card
Best for Regular flyers
Can Minors Fly Alone on United Airline Flights?
You can book a flight for unaccompanied children aged between five and fourteen years old, but you will be required to use the unaccompanied minor program.
This service makes sure that unaccompanied minors traveling alone on United are always being watched over by onboard flight attendants and ground staff. This service begins at the check in counter and will continue until the minor is picked up by their parents or guardians.
How Much is the Service Charge for the United Airlines Unaccompanied Minors Scheme?
The unaccompanied minor fees for United Airlines are not structured per child, instead, you will be charged by pair. Here's a breakdown of the fees for minors flying alone on United one way.
- $150 charge for one or two children traveling alone.
- $300 for between three and four children flying unaccompanied.
- $450 for five or six children traveling unaccompanied.
If you want to book a roundtrip for an unaccompanied minor, these prices would be doubled to cover each flight. One or two children on a roundtrip would be $300, not $150.
Do Children Aged Under 18 Years Old Have to Travel on the Unaccompanied Minors Scheme?
The rules for minors flying along on United Airlines state that the unaccompanied minors scheme is required for children aged between five and fourteen. Children who are aged between fifteen and seventeen can travel unaccompanied or you can use the scheme optionally.
How Do you Book for Minors Flying Alone on United Airlines?
The process for booking flights for minors flying alone on United Airlines is quite straightforward, but there are some steps you need to take to book the unaccompanied minor service when you buy your tickets.
- Book the flight for the minor on United.com and choose the right traveler age on the website.
- After you have selected the right age group, you will be able to input information about who will be dropping off your child at the airport and picking them up when they arrive. (If this changes later on, you can call United to update the information.)
- The seat for your child will be assigned by United Airlines within 72 hours of you making this booking. This will make sure that your child is being watched and looked after during the flight.
How Do You Prepare for Flights for Minors Flying Alone?
Once you have booked your flight and familiarised yourself with all the rules for minors flying alone on United Airlines. Here are some steps you should take to make sure that you and your children are properly prepared for the flight.
- Make sure that your children's tablets or smartphones are fully charged, so that they can contact you if they run into any trouble and remain entertained on the flight.
- Talk through the process with your children to make sure they know what to expect and that they need to wait for a United airlines member to accompany them.
- Make sure to write down all of the phone numbers that may be needed while your child is traveling. This should include your number and the number of the adult who will be picking them up at the end of the flight.
- If you have booked international flights for your child, they may be asked to fill out a form before they leave the flight. Make sure they have all of the information they need with them ahead of time.
What to Do On The Day of Your Minors Flying Alone on United.
Arrive Early at the Airport
Make sure that you leave in good time and arrive at the airport at least 30 minutes earlier before the minimum required time for check in. This will give you lots of time to make sure that your children are comfortable and that the process is as stress-free as possible.
Your Child Will Need to Check In
At the airport counter, your child will need to check in at the ticket counter. During this process, United Airlines staff will check that all of the contact information they have is correct. Your child will also be given a wristband to wear while traveling and receive a document to carry all of their travel documentation.
The Security Process for United Flights for Minors Flying Alone
When your child is leaving on a flight from a US airport, you will be given a gate pass during the check in process and can accompany them to the departure gate. If their flight is booked out of an international location. a United Airlines agent will be there to meet you at the ticket counter and will accompany your children to the gate.
Boarding the Plane
You will be able to stay with your children until the flight takes off. When it is time to board, children in the unaccompanied minor service will be accompanied onto the flight, introduced to the pilots, and shown their assigned seats.
What Happens on United Flights for Minors Flying Alone?
When your children are on their flight, the attendants will check on them throughout the journey. Your children will also be able to use the call button to contact them if they need any assistance throughout the flight.
There will be one free snack on the flight, but you should pack some extra snacks and food which adhere to the TSA regulations.
Your children will be able to watch age-appropriate shows and movies inflight on the United App. You can also check on this website to discover which movies are being shown on your booked flight.
Summary: Flying Unaccompanied Minors with United Airlines
Minors flying along on United Airlines will need to be signed up for the unaccompanied minor service if they are aged between 5 and 14. The scheme will make sure that your children are properly looked after during the flight and that they will be picked up by a parent or guardian when they arrive at their destination.
A Complete Guide to United Airlines MileagePlus Program – 2022
If you often take flights with United Airlines for your business trips or vacations, you may have wondered about joining the Frequent Flyer United Airlines scheme.